
Just in case you weren't aware, I was born in Japan, many many moons ago. And what is great about that is the cuisine. I grew up on it. I was using chopsticks before I used a fork.
Okay, that may be stretching it a bit. But I did grow up on the cuisine and am skilled enough to eat rice with chopsticks. Anyhow, as I grew older, I was introduced to more and more of the cuisine and I am in LOVE with SUSHI! Yes, raw fish. It is awesome.
My brother, Joe, has lived in Japan 3 times as long as I have and also LOVES sushi. He has learned how to make it and, on October 28, taught me the basics of making sushi. Now, I will say that I am capable, not skilled at this. This is a slice of my first roll.
Our menu consisted of Miso Soup, Chicken on a stick, Shrimp Skewers, and Salmon and Ahi Tuna Sushi. We even had Taco (Octopus). Joe, my nephew Brandon, and I really enjoyed making the dinner, but had WAY too much fish.

Brandon tried his hand at making a roll, but decided to make it with the rice on the outside. This is particularly difficult, especially when you've never done it before. I think he did fairly well.
Making Sushi is one of those things that you can't learn just by reading a book...there's a feel for it and practice makes perfect. But the great thing is, no matter how much rice falls off your Nigiri (rice cake) or if your Maki (roll) falls apart, it all tastes good.
No comments:
Post a Comment