I am a notorious procrastinator when it comes to getting my hair cut. I search for people to cut my hair only to be disappointed when I walk away either not knowing their name or wondering if their cosmetology license was part of their daughter's "I want to be a Hairdresser when I grow up" playset - or both. So, after avoiding getting my hair cut for over a month and scoping out local salons for a couple of days, I finally took the plunge and walked into one that looked relatively "safe". You know, the ones that don't have a beat-up plywood sign with spray-painted advertising? It was quaint (read: small). But clean, efficient, and available.
The stylist was busy re-touching a patron's roots when she saw me. She asked if she could help. I told her I needed my hair cut, could she do it? She INTRODUCED herself to me!!! "I'm Tracy, let me take a look at my schedule." (First, she told me who she was. Then, she was accomodating.) She chose to fit me in while her other patron "processed". For you novices, this is because hair coloring isn't instant like Kool-Aid...it takes a while to absorb.
The other thing that impressed me about her is she TALKED TO ME. Okay, to some this may sound ridiculous, but I've had my fair share of going into a salon and feeling like it was as personal as having my car washed. We had a pleasant conversation, she listened to me about my hair concerns, and remembered to give me her card so I could come again.
Have you ever just wanted to shake the person in front of you and ask them if they noticed that you are even there? HELLOOO!! It's your job to talk to the person who is purchasing whatever your establishment is selling. More to the point, a consumer that essentially pays your salary. And even more to the point, capable of feedback that could negatively hurt your chances of continuing to stay employed.
This is one of the better experiences I've had in a looooong time. Retail and personal services seem to miss the boat most of the time when it comes to "customer care". And then I have a great experience like this one. And then you have the "Big Guys"...anymore, when I go to one of those national retail chains (e.g. Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Target, Lowe's, PetSmart, Petco, etc.), I wonder what their training program consisted of.
PART I: Company Uniform
Trainer #1 (Kid who has worked there for 1 month): Uh, like, you know, um, you should, um, wear this, like, uniform? Um, all the time? And, uh, you need to, like, do your job.
PART II: Job Description
Trainer #2 (Kid who has worked there for 2 days): Well, um, if you kindof don't know what your job is? Well, then, maybe, uh, you should, like, not work here.
PART III: Customer Service
Trainer #3 (Kid who has worked there for over a year and noone knows what he really does): Okay. Cool. Um, like, if you see someone coming toward you? You should, uhhhh (eyes staring at ceiling, mouth open, drooling)...like, walk the other way. And if you're, you know, stuck? Well, tell them it's totally not your department. Oh, and the cashiers? You can, you know, like, do whatever, um, stand around and stuff until someone gets to your line and then, like, ring them up.
PART IV: WHAT????
Yes, I swear this is what they teach. Anyway, I think you get the point. Tracy has obviously learned through the years that being polite to the consumer means repeat business (or maybe it's because her parents taught her manners and respect to begin with).
I will step off my soapbox for now. I thank you for following along and bearing with me while I rant about customer service. And, as a reminder, I NEVER shop at K-Mart.
No comments:
Post a Comment